At first glance you might expect something different. We meet in a traditional Chicago neighborhood church with beautiful stained glass and vaulted sanctuary ceilings with exposed wooden beams. But once you enter in, you’ll find that the majority of our sacred space is spirited. Prayer and silence are a regular part of our weekly gatherings, but lively children, t’weens and teens, and active adults of all ages meld seamlessly to create Grace Evangelical Covenant Church.
- When and where? 10 a.m. Worship on Sundays for all ages. 4201 N. Monticello Ave. @ Berteau, Chicago. Habla español? – Ingreso Pastor Luis Retamal y nuestra iglesia hermana “Iglesia del Pacto Grace” a las 2 pm los domingos
- Who? – Grace is a multigenerational church. All ages worship, care and serve side by side. On Sundays, we gather together, then half way through the service we bless one another to go learn about God through age-appropriate Christian formation. Children ages 0 to 6th grade go to Sunday school to be picked up by their parent/guardian following the service.
- Why? – Outward signs of an inward reality is what church is about (the fancy church word is “sacraments”). We practice and participate in the “official” sacraments of baptism and communion (first Sundays). But, we acknowledge that our lives are sacramental. Whether we are engaging in worship, committing to bible study, serving in the food pantry or praying with a friend, we do it all because we believe in a God who is good, who loves his creation and has it’s best interest in mind.
- How? Come casual, find a chair, listen to different musical styles, and be prepared to engage. When it comes to the traditions of the church, we don’t throw the baby out with the bath water, but we seek to embrace Christian history with a meaningful twist. And, if you have trouble finding street parking don’t worry – many of us walk in 5 minutes late! And oh, we meet for about 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Listen? – a sampling of sermons