We will consider our human sexuality and the Christian faith at Grace beginning Sunday, May 3. The Apostle Paul calls us to
continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose (Phil 2:12-13)
Together, we will seek to bring God’s truth and grace into our understanding of human sexuality. We are not seeking to develop a church wide policy or determine denominational loyalties. Rather, we trust that God’s Word – written in the Holy Scriptures, lived in Jesus Christ, and discerned through the Holy Spirit –
is the living and active word of God judging the thoughts and attitudes of our hearts (Heb 4:12).
And as we wrestle together with God’s Word and our realities, we hope that God will work in us to fulfill his good purpose.
The Evangelical Covenant Church
- A Covenant Resource Paper is a teaching document designed to provide context and clarity for Covenant churches on critical issues of concern in matters of faith, doctrine, and conduct.
- The ECC’s Resolutions – The Christian Action Commission (CAC) prepares resolutions on ethical and political issues and recommends particular actions informed by biblical perspective. In the tradition of the Covenant, these resolutions are not binding. With the Covenant’s long-standing emphasis on freedom in Christ as one of our core affirmations, individual churches and church members are free not to abide by resolutions. But they still carry significant weight. For one, if adopted by delegates they represent the majority opinion of the Annual Meeting, the highest decision-making body in our denomination.
- Covenant Ministerium – Human Sexuality Guidelines for Pastors to which our pastor adheres
- Theology of Singleness
- Divorce and Remarriage: An Occasional Paper and Policy Statement
- Tony and Peggy Campolo – Gay Debate – a ten minute video where husband and wife walk hand in hand without seeing eye to eye.
- Our reading of the bible can and does lead to different theological and ethical interpretations. ECC Affirmation video on Centrality of the Word of God.
- When we disagree, Freedom in Christ is something we offer others, not something we claim for ourselves. ECC Affirmation video on Freedom in Christ.
Pastor Mandy’s Sermons
- The Book on Sex… and Other Things – 5/3/15
- Sex is Good – 5/10/15
- Sex and Sin – 5/17/15
- Sex and Jesus (pt. 1) – 5/23/15
- Sex and Jesus (pt.2) – 5/31/15
- Sex and Grace – 6/14/15 PLEASE NOTE: Pastor Mandy misspoke in this message – 3.7-5% of people identify as LGBT (3.7.5% are not born with same sex orientation). Same-sex orientation is thought to be a complex combination of nature and nurture. this is corrected in the sermon on 6/21/15
- Sex and the Church – 6/21/15
Books to Read
Redeeming Sex: Naked Conversations about Sexuality and Spirituality by Debra Hirsch (IVP) – a holistic, biblical vision of sex and gender that honors God and offers good news to the world; according to Pastor Mandy some parts are shocking, but it will make you think.
Homosexuality and the Bible: Two Views by Robert Gagnon and Dan Via (Augsburg) – the most concise, yet thorough biblical study of the traditional and non-traditional views Pastor Mandy has found. A must read!
The End of Sexual Identity by Janell Williams unpacks sexuality from an anthropological and Christian perspective. Williams says sex is too important to define who we are.
Changing Our Mind by David Gushee is a helpful exploration of homosexuality and Christianity from an Evangelical Christian ethicist.
Washed and Waiting: Reflections on Christian Faithfulness and Homosexuality by Wesley Hill is the story of one gay Christian’s wrestling with and embrace of chastity.
Torn: Rescuing the Gospel from the Gay-vs.-Christian Debate by Justin Lee is one gay Christian’s memoir and call for people on both sides of the debate to respect, learn from, and love one another.